You play the most important role in keeping your mouth healthy, but it is hard to know which advice to follow. We have put together our 'Top 10' ways to look after your teeth and gums!
1. Reduce the frequency and amount of sugary food and drinks.
2. Brush twice a day with a flouride toothpaste
Ages: 0-3 A smear of 1000ppm flouride toothpaste
3-6 A pea sized blob of 1,350-1,500ppm flouride toothpaste
6-adult A brush sized amouth 1,350-1,500ppm flouride toothpaste.
3. After brushing your teeth, spit out but do not rinse, this helps to keep the active ingredients near the teeth for longer.
4. Always brush last thing at night and at least one other time during the day.
5. Polishing and cleaning between your teeth to remove plaque is the most important way to prevent gum disease.
6. Do not smoke, it increases your risk of gum disease and mouth cancer.
7. Drink alcohol moderately. Excessive alcohol consumption increases your risk of mouth cancer.
8. Keep diabetes well controlled. Poorly controlled diabetes will tend to lead to increased gum disease.
9. Avoid fizzy drinks and fruit juices as they can cause acid erosion of the teeth.
10. Attend regularly for professional dental care.
If you want to know more about this advice, either ask us or follow the link to see the governments evidence based toolkit.